Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Frog Box "Sweet Home"


Jewelry Box "Sweet Home"



Had a rough week so far but I was so into doing boxes that I had to finish this one today, even if I was exhausted.
Working on this jewelry box kind of fixed me and made me energetic again. I can't even tell you why I love this one so much. Maybe because of the awesome picture with the frog I found on Karen's blog (The Graphics Fairy) I get all nostalgic about? Because of the self mixed greenish egg shell paint? Because of the dotted light blue fabric? I just don't know. But I really DO love it! Maybe it makes it all together or it's just the rainy weather.
Snow covered mountaintops, rain, low temperatures, cloudy. Wonderful! :)


This is how it was looking before, when I got it at Mösi's flea and antique market. I guess it was an old cigar or tobacco box.
That's also what my mom said. She told me that her mom's aunt had boxes like this one at her restaurant. And they where filled with cigars.
I love when she's telling stories from back then!

before

First I thought about saving the picture on the inside of the cover but I could not remove it and I also didn't know anything about it's copyright so I decided to cover it up.

Cleaning and grinding as usual, then I mixed a greenish eggshell paint with white, green and blue furniture paint (acrylic).
Distressing and waxing also as usual.
For the cover inside I used a very light wooden sheet.
First I printed the frog image (from the Graphics Fairy) onto a light cotton fabric, sewed it onto a light blue fabric with white dots, glued lace trim and sewed shell buttons to it and then covered the wooden sheet with it.
Afterwards I glued it into the cover (the cover inside didn't get waxed).

There was "Club Sortiment" engraved on the outside of the cover. I caught that and colored it black and distressed it, glued a fabric flower and hanged a self made tag to it.
On the inside bottom I used a scrapbook sheet and glued it underneath the partitions.
Done. And proud! :))




After

Outside

Outside

By now I'm really exhausted and will try to catch some sleep... hope Abby won't find some flies to jump at the whole night again...

Love, Dina


P.s. Box is for sale

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for dropping by my blog Dina. Love your frog box, great colours, so sure you'll find a home for it real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome! Thank you :) It's already sold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic altered art piece. Well done and thanks for the walk through your process.
    Keep smiling and creating

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by!