Thursday, January 24, 2013

Time is a suitcase...

...loaded with good things.

Suitcase Rummage in Lucerne, Switzerland
www.koffermarkt-luzern.ch
Yes ladies, I did my first "suitcase rummage" at the end of the last year in Lucerne. "Last year" sounds so weird, or is it just me...
I got an invitation to it without knowing what it is but I was thrilled when I found out what it's all about. It swapped over to Switzerland fully now and there are popping up suitcase rummages all over the country for this year.

No need to say: I had a BLAST and my bags and necklaces seemed to be some of the hot sellers which made my heart sing! By the time I went home there where six small pieces left, so no rummage anymore. I even sold my decoration to a girl; a brooch I used to tag some lace. She wanted it really bad so I gave her a good deal.

On this occasion I naturally wanted to have a unique suitcase.
Here is what I did...



When I got the case the false leather outside was a bright orange-deer-brown and the also-ghastly, brown satin fabric inside was splotchy. Well, don't get me wrong, I guess it looked funky in the 70's. Unfortunately this was the only suitcase at the flea market.

The decision was made with ease, I ripped out the fabric inside and spotted cardboard underneath!
A cardboard suitcase! All right!

I painted the false leather on the outside with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (yes, I did!) Duck Egg Blue, let it dry and then I brushed old white onto it. Just some strokes with an almost dry brush to bring out the highlights.
In this case I did not wax it for I wanted this dry and matt look, keeping in mind that the color could chip off and get wet. As a small decoration I used oxidized metal stamps (a butterfly, a leave and a tag).


On the inside I used Japanese Cotton Fabric (50% Cotton, 50% Linen), glued and sealed it with Mod Podge. You could use outdoor Mod Podge if you would like to be able to wipe a surface with a wet towel.
I did a quick upholstery for the inside of the cover with a light cream cotton fabric and then, decorated with a lace trim (for hanging up some earrings) and two bronze brooches (yes, that where the ones selling too).

Actually you could use such a suitcase as a decorating item in your home too where it could hold magazines, kids toys, books, remote controls, a cat (?)...or just shine.



And here it is in action! Much love, Dina






Beyond The Picket Fence  Photobucket 

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully done. So each person brings one suitcase full of stuff? Never heard of those shows. Sounds like it would be a blast. Great idea. Your bags and necklaces are lovely.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely done! Looks like a real working part of everything - "she works hard for her money!" Enjoyed your post, thanks, Jenn (via Liz's TTT)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this before, what a fun sale! I see why you did so well! Your purses and suitcase are wonderful!!! Are you going to do more?? If you do more let me know, it would be so fun to have you guest host about them on my selling series. It would be great to get pictures of other peoples suitcases!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey nei dina, bisch schumal gsi? so lässig!!!! wunder wunderschön dis köfferli und inhalt!!!!
    liäbi grüässli

    claudia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by!